[LLVMdev] Fwd: Question about using steensgaard's pointer analysis in poolalloc

William Chan ustccmchen at gmail.com
Sun Apr 11 19:50:44 PDT 2010

Hi, LLVM dev team:
Thanks for your suggestion, I have done the experiment to compare the two
pointer analysis(Andersen and Steensgaard) methods in LLVM, but the result
was unexpected. In each test, I compare these two methods using same
optimization; There are several tests, each with a different optimization.
The benchmark is all the 11 C programs in CINT2000 of SPEC. In all the
tests, I found very little performance difference between Andersen and
Steensgaard. Here is an example of the options in one of the tests:
  llvmc -opt -Wo,=-O3 -Wo,=-load=path_of_libLLVMDataStructure.so
-Wo,=-steens-aa
  llvmc -opt -Wo,=-O3 -Wo,=-anders-aa
the other optimizations are: dead code elimination, dead store elimination,
const propogation, O1, etc.

And now what confusing me are:
1 Did the optimizations really use the result of Andersen or Steensgaard?
2 It seems both Andersen and Steensgaard have a little trouble to compile
some programs, such as: 175.vpr, 176.gcc and 197.parser for Andersen,
 253.perlbmk for Steensgaard.
3 Are the difference between O1 and O3 in LLVM similar with that in gcc?

Anyone can give me some hints? thanks

-William.C

在 2010年3月23日 下午9:59,John Criswell <criswell at uiuc.edu>写道: