[LLVMdev] Printing Function Arguments

Nick Lewycky nicholas at mxc.ca
Sun Sep 27 20:53:22 PDT 2009

ivtm wrote:
> Hey Oscar,
>
> I want to extract information from the instruction.
>
> Think writing a simple interpreter.
>
> I already have the CallInst instance (described above in the message).
>
> Via ci->getOperand(1) say I can get the 'i32 8' parameter and I can get the
> 'i32' and '8' separately as Nick described.
>
> But I need to extract the %0 from the CallInst instance somehow. I am not
> sure what the exact method to call is.
>
> I need that btw, for every instruction that writes, e.g. loads, adds, muls,
> etc...There has got to be a generic method for that.

This is a common misunderstanding. When you look at something like:

   %a = add i32 %x, %y

it's common to think "Well, I've got the Instruction* which is on the
right hand side, how do I get the %a on the left hand side"? The answer
is that the whole thing is actually:

   %I->getName() = I->getOpcode() I->op_begin()..I->op_end()

There is only the Instruction *I. It _is_ the value that it produces.
There is no register it's being stored into, that Instruction* is itself
the definition of the register!

Note that registers are immutable (being a static single assignment
form) and that we have an infinite register set.

Nick