[LLVMdev] Implementing stack frames/vaargs

Richard Pennington rich at pennware.com
Sun Sep 27 07:20:10 PDT 2009

Hi,

After several months of procrastination I'm at the point where I'd like
to implement vaargs in all the code generators that do not support it yet.

As a little background, I'm putting together a version of newlib,
startup code, linker command files, soft-flt (if needed), and
compiler-rt that I'm building for the llvm targets supported by qemu. I
build programs and run them in qemu user mode.  So far, X86 and ARM work
out of the box. powerpc and sparc work as long as I don't do anything
using vaargs (no printf :-(). Alpha compiles but I haven't implemented
the low level system calls yet so I can't verify that it works.

My question is this: which backend would be the best to model changes
for vaargs after? Which is the most up-to-date? Is there documentation
somewhere that describes how stack frames and vaargs should be done?

-Rich