[LLVMdev] struct returns

Kenneth Uildriks kennethuil at gmail.com
Tue Sep 22 06:18:00 PDT 2009

On Tue, Sep 22, 2009 at 7:01 AM, Jon Harrop <jon at ffconsultancy.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday 15 September 2009 16:32:00 Kenneth Uildriks wrote:
>> In the latest snapshot from SVN on X86, llc refuses to compile
>> functions returning structs larger than two i32 members.
>
> Does it not handle two double-precision floats for the C99 complex type? Or
> did you mean "larger" as in more fields rather than larger fields?

I have not tested it with two double-precision floats.  I tested it
with two i32's and with three i32's.  My overall point is that there
are built-in passes which turn code that llc likes into code that llc
chokes on, and that handling large struct returns is better handled in
LLVM than in each individual front-end.