[LLVMdev] Build problem with gcc-4.3.2

Niels Möller nisse at lysator.liu.se
Thu Sep 10 03:45:48 PDT 2009

Hi,

on http://llvm.org/docs/GettingStarted.html#requirements you say you
want to know about problems compiling llvm with gcc.

I just tried compiling llvm and clang, using ./configure; make, and I
got the following error,

  llvm[2]: Compiling StrongPHIElimination.cpp for Debug build
  StrongPHIElimination.cpp:1051: internal compiler error: in value_format, at dwarf2out.c:7218
  Please submit a full bug report,
  See <http://gcc.gnu.org/bugs.html> for instructions.
  /bin/rm: cannot remove `/home/nisse/hack/llvm/lib/CodeGen/Debug/StrongPHIElimination.d.tmp': No such file or directory
  make[2]: *** [/home/nisse/hack/llvm/lib/CodeGen/Debug/StrongPHIElimination.o] Error 1
  make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/nisse/hack/llvm/lib/CodeGen'
  make[1]: *** [CodeGen/.makeall] Error 2
  make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/nisse/hack/llvm/lib'
  make: *** [all] Error 1

This is on a debian gnu/linux x86 box, using gcc-4.3.2 which (as far
as I remember) was compiled with default options. I checked out
revision 81438 from http://llvm.org/svn/llvm-project/llvm/trunk.

I'm not planning on investigating this problem further, I'll next
install gcc-4.4.1 and try again.

Regards,
/Niels