[LLVMdev] how to change one operand of an LLVM instruction

Susan Horwitz horwitz at cs.wisc.edu
Tue Sep 8 14:46:34 PDT 2009

I am trying to implement node splitting to transform irreducible CFGS to
reducible ones.  This means making copies of some basic blocks, which in
turn means making copies of individual instructions.  I can use the
"clone" function to make an exact copy, but then I need to change some
operands. For example, when I copy
 	%1 = ...
 	%2 = add %1, 5

I get
 	%3 = ...
 	%4 = add %1, 5

and I need to change the %1 operand in the copy to be %3.

The only way I see to do this is to create a new instruction instead of a
clone, using a big switch on the opcode (since different instructions'
constructors have different parameters).

Anyone know of an easier way to do this?