[LLVMdev] About llvm's capability

Bill Wendling isanbard at gmail.com
Mon Sep 7 23:36:24 PDT 2009

On Sep 7, 2009, at 6:43 PM, kito wrote:

> Hello everybody
>
> I am newbie in llvm and compiler, I have some questions about llvm's
> capability - How large project llvm can compile now?
> I mean, such as linux kernel or ggc...llvm can build it?
> especially on the other architecture, ARM or alpha
> because I must choice one between gcc and llvm to study.
> In my long tern, I will port some other architecture to gcc or llvm.
>
> In fact, I prefer like llvm because the code is more structure and
> easy to understand than gcc.

Hi Kito,

LLVM is capable of compiling many big projects. It's used at several
companies to do just that. And I think that the Linux Kernel has been
compiled by someone...

So, it should be capable of compiling whatever you need it to. There
may be bugs, of course. But that's going to be the same with any
compiler. :-)

-bw