[LLVMdev] should we stop using llvm-as/llvm-dis in tests?

Daniel Dunbar daniel at zuster.org
Sat Sep 5 18:40:44 PDT 2009

On Sat, Sep 5, 2009 at 5:51 PM, Chris Lattner<clattner at apple.com> wrote:

> On Sep 5, 2009, at 1:53 PM, Nick Lewycky wrote:
>
>> A recent commit added the ability to opt and llc to read .ll files
>> directly. Should we go through and update the existing tests?
>
> Yes, I think that Dan is planning to do this.

... and it is definitely worth doing. On my system a 'time' of make
check reports that about 50% of the real time running make check is
spent in the OS. This probably also limits the efficacy of attempts to
parallelize the test suite, if someone was crazy enough to do that.

Using opt -S for tests that end up going to llvm-dis would also be nice.

 - Daniel