[LLVMdev] An alternate implementation of exceptions

Sebastian Redl sebastian.redl at getdesigned.at
Fri Sep 4 08:06:34 PDT 2009

Mikael Lyngvig wrote:
> Hi Duncan,
>
> I agree on the problem about linking with code - I actually do mention
> this in the paper.  I propose adding a new calling convention called
> "excall".

The problem is that you can't automatically determine from a function
declaration whether it comes from "inside" (is exception-aware) or not.
This means that you'd have to make the user explicitly declare one of
them. This is either a nightmare for using libraries (modify all
headers, or introduce an extern "C"-block-like feature as C++ has it, to
wrap the header includes), or a nightmare for writing new code (every
new function needs to have it, explicitly).

Sebastian