[LLVMdev] [cfe-dev] Developer meeting videos up

Vikram S. Adve vadve at illinois.edu
Sat Oct 17 17:27:11 PDT 2009

On Oct 15, 2009, at 10:45 AM, Chris Lattner wrote:

> Unfortunately, we found out at the last minute that Apple has a rule
> which prevents its engineers from giving video taped talks or
> distributing slides.  We will hold onto the video and slide assets in
> case this rule changes in the future.
>
> -Chris

Chris,

I hope you can pass my message along to the people at Apple who made
this decision.
---

I want to request Apple to make an exception and release the videos
and slides of presentations by Apple employees at the LLVM Developers'
Meeting.  Several Apple employees now have a leadership role in the
LLVM community, although LLVM remains a widely used open source
software project.  Their presentations at the LLVM developers' meeting
are an important component of how we help support LLVM users.  The
presentations clearly reveal no confidential Apple information; in
fact, they were presented in front of a large number of external
participants.  While we appreciate Apple's continued support of LLVM
and of the Developers' Meeting, the goodwill generated is being
undermined by this policy to withhold important technical information
from other LLVM users, and for little benefit to Apple.

--Vikram Adve

  VIKRAM S. ADVE
  Associate Professor, Computer Science       E-MAIL: vadve at cs.uiuc.edu
  Siebel Center for Computer Science           PHONE:    (217) 244-2016
  Univ. of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign          FAX:    (217) 244-6500
  201 N. Goodwin Ave.
  Urbana IL 61801-2302.                          http://llvm.org/~vadve