[LLVMdev] [cfe-dev] Developer meeting videos up

Cornelius c.r1 at gmx.de
Fri Oct 16 13:36:14 PDT 2009

On 10/16/2009 07:36 PM, David Greene wrote:
> On Friday 16 October 2009 02:52, Fons Rademakers wrote:
>
>> At CERN we had already a number of people questioning the wisdom of basing
>> our developments on LLVM as it is perceived as an Apple thing, that could
>> turn on us at anytime, and this position does not help.
>
> Ditto.  I've heard this more than once from people here.
>
>                                -Dave

In my opinion, it's not just about that aspect. Not having openess in an
OS project is bad, but in this case, I wasn't able to make it to the
meeting, and I've a strong personal interest in clang, and I'd really
like to watch the State of clang talk.
Also the OpenCL talk (probably, as I don't know...) contains lots of
interesting news about an upcoming technology which will be probably
very important for every professional who wants to use parallelism and
GPU computing power efficiently (efficient as in less dev time for more
performance).
And that's just beside the bad PR which will be (probably) soon picked
up by news sites.
Let's hope that the responsible person for this changes his/her mind
soon,  so everyone can calm down.
Cornelius