[LLVMdev] Is ExecutionEngine always meant to be a singleton?

Eric Christopher echristo at apple.com
Fri Oct 9 15:30:18 PDT 2009

On Oct 8, 2009, at 9:19 AM, Kenneth Uildriks wrote:

> Right now, on X86, creating multiple ExecutionEngines in the same
> process causes an assertion.

Yes. This is by design.

> If it's supposed to always be a singleton, should there be a way to
> get the process's ExecutionEngine instance?

I can't see why. You could make a server to process llvm code.

> This would, among other things, allow "lli" to execute bitcode that
> itself uses the ExecutionEngine.

I think you're doing something a bit fishy here. I'm not sure how
you're generating code, but you may want to look at Unladen Swallow or
Rubinius or the Kaleidoscope tutorial for how ExecutionEngine is
generally used for jitting, and jitting in general.

-eric