[LLVMdev] Possible bug in TCO?

Albert Graef Dr.Graef at t-online.de
Sun Nov 29 02:19:40 PST 2009

Jon Harrop wrote:
> I've come up with the following minimal repro that segfaults on my machine:

Jon, were you able to resolve this?

FWIW, TOT is causing all kinds of weird segfaults related to tail calls
in my Pure interpreter, too (at least on x86-64). In my case these seem
to be limited to the JIT, however (batch-compiled Pure programs via
opt+llc all work fine, even with TCO), so it's probably a different
issue. When using JIT compilation, the Pure interpreter works fine with
LLVM 2.3 thru 2.6, and also with early revisions of 2.7svn, but it fails
most of my test suite with current TOT, even though the generated IR
seems to be the same as before.

Have there been any changes to the x86-64 backend of the JIT which might
break tail call elimination? I didn't see any announcements about major
changes in the JIT on the ml, so I have no idea what might be going
wrong there.

Albert

--
Dr. Albert Gr"af
Dept. of Music-Informatics, University of Mainz, Germany
Email:  Dr.Graef at t-online.de, ag at muwiinfa.geschichte.uni-mainz.de
WWW:    http://www.musikinformatik.uni-mainz.de/ag