[LLVMdev] JVM Backend

Jon Harrop jon at ffconsultancy.com
Sat Nov 28 15:49:27 PST 2009

On Saturday 28 November 2009 06:20:39 David Roberts wrote:
> > How do you handle tail calls and value types?
>
> I haven't worried too much about optimisation yet, so it doesn't do
> anything special for tail calls (although neither does the java
> compiler). LLVM types are translated to their equivalent java
> primitive type (or currently it raises an assertion if there is no
> equivalent type).

So it will stack overflow on tail calls and break with run-time errors on
structs?

I would love to be able to evaluate LLVM IR in a safe environment (like the
JVM) for debugging purposes but this is too incomplete to be useful for me:
my IR depends heavily upon tail calls and value types. Unfortunately, the
MSIL backend and lli are also incomplete and, therefore, useless for me too.

As Chris said, the LLVM world really needs any fully working solution rather
than a selection of incomplete solutions.

http://www.ffconsultancy.com/?e