[LLVMdev] -O0 compile time speed (was: Go)

Renato Golin rengolin at systemcall.org
Sun Nov 22 09:54:25 PST 2009

2009/11/22 Arnt Gulbrandsen <arnt at gulbrandsen.priv.no>:
> Sort of. Why you think more speed than LLVM currently provides is a
> significant benefit.

Faster is always better, and I see why increasing it on all
optimization levels is paramount to any compiler. I just fail to see
why should we hack the O0 to make it faster.

Whenever you increase the speed of O0, you're obviously increasing for
all levels, but hacking your way through just to compete with Go (or
any other) won't provide the same benefit. Besides, every program has
to make compromises between generality and speed. As LLVM is a
compilation infrastructure, I fail to see the point of domain-specific
changes to its internals.

Why is O0 any good for general purposes, besides debugging?

On the other hand, creating a clang-o0 with the changes and keep it
outside of the core libraries would achieve the same results without
compromising generality...

cheers,
--renato

Reclaim your digital rights, eliminate DRM, learn more at