[LLVMdev] Quick question about assembly output

Talin viridia at gmail.com
Sun Nov 15 15:17:51 PST 2009

I notice that when I assemble a .bc file into a .s (assembly) file, the
symbol names that are generated are very different under different hosts
OS's.

For example, I have a symbol such as "main(tart.core.String[])->int". Under
Darwin, the assembly output says "main(tart.core.String[])->int" (with
quotes), but when I generate the assembly file under Linux I get
"main_28_tart.core.String_5B__5D__29__2D__3E_int". It appears that something
is translating all of the punctuation characters to escape sequences.

My question is, can this be controlled and/or disabled? Given that I'm using
the same assembler (Gnu) in both cases, is it really necessary?

--
-- Talin