[LLVMdev] libLTO on Mac OS X

John Criswell criswell at uiuc.edu
Thu Nov 12 11:43:27 PST 2009

Dear LLVMers,

I'm currently working on creating an alternate libLTO.so that will run
some whole-program analysis and transforms of mine during the final
linking of an executable.  The idea is for it to link all of the bitcode
files together, run the regular LTO passes, and then run my passes.  For
Linux, I should be able to get the Gold linker to load my libLTO.so
instead of the standard one, thereby allowing my passes to be run
seamlessly when compiling large programs with complicated build systems.

Can something similar be done on Mac OS X?  Does the XCode linker
dynamically load libLTO.dylib to perform link-time optimization?

-- John T.