[LLVMdev] Problem running lli on ARM

Prasanth J j.prasanth.j at gmail.com
Tue Nov 3 11:42:10 PST 2009

Hi all,

I am in the process of developing a installer utility for ARM target which
can compile any source files to ARM native executable. This installer
utility should be present on target itself (whether this is feasible or
not?). For achieving this i compiled llvm with clang for target. I copied
the binaries to target and when it tried to compile a sample c code i am
getting the following error.

*# ../bin/clang hello.c
clang: warning: not using the clang compiler for the 'arm' architecture
clang: error: unable to make temporary file: /tmp/cc: can't make unique
filename: No such file or directory
clang: error: unable to make temporary file: /tmp/cc: can't make unique
filename: No such file or directory
# *

my target device doesnot hav /tmp and it doesnot have write permission for
creating any directory on root "/". is there anyway to tell clang to create
temporary files in some other location other than "/tmp" ? can anyone help
me in resolving this issue? pls let me know in case if any more information
is required.

i also tried the following method. in this method i created the llvm bitcode
in my host x86 machine and then copied it to target and from target if i try
to run the bitcode using lli tool i am getting the following error.
*
*
*# ../../llvm-2.6-arm/bin/lli nestedloop.bc
lli: /home/prasanth/LLVM_ARM/llvm-**target/llvm-2.6/include/llvm/**ADT/ilist.h:197:
typename bidirectional_iterator<NodeTy, int>::reference
llvm::ilist_iterator<NodeTy>::**operator*() const [with NodeTy =
llvm::RecyclerStruct]: Assertion `Traits::getNext(NodePtr) != 0 &&
"Dereferencing end()!"' failed.
0   lli 0x007702b4
Stack dump:
0.      Program arguments: ../../llvm-2.6-arm/bin/lli nestedloop.bc
1.      Running pass 'ARM Instruction Selection' on function '@main'
Aborted
#

*
*
*pls let me know how can i resolve these two issues. the target details are
target arch : arm
target cpu : arm1136jf-s

Thanks and Regards,
Prasanth J