[LLVMdev] Building LLVM with cmake on FreeBSD

Paul Melis llvm at assumetheposition.nl
Mon May 25 14:24:44 PDT 2009

Chuck Robey wrote:

>>> Uh? My FreeBSD installment has `make' and no `gmake'. `make' is indeed
>>> BSD make.
>>>

> In your FreeBSD system, do an "ls -d /var/db/pkg/gmake*" and see if any
> directory shows up.  If it does, then the only argument you can have is what
> name you installed it under, not whether it's there or not, it is.  GNU Make,
> and NOT BSD Make, will respond to the -v parameter with version info.  BSD make
> won't do that.
>

>>> So, to recap, right now LLVM svn builds fine on FreeBSD 7.2 using BSD
>>> `make' with the makefiles generated by cmake.
>>>

>> I quickly browsed the CMake 2.6.2 source and their does not seem to be a
>> special case for BSD in the makefile generator code.
>> It seems that the makefiles generated by cmake use the subset of
>> features that is shared by BSD make and GNU make
>> (http://www.cmake.org/pipermail/cmake/2004-March/004881.html), so
>> building with either BSD make or GNU make should work.
>>
>> However, I also noticed that KDE4 uses CMake these days and on a page
>> (http://techbase.kde.org/Getting_Started/Build/KDE4/FreeBSD) that
>> describes building on FreeBSD it says "Sometimes, building with *make*
>> can fail on some modules. You should try using *gmake* instead." So
>> perhaps YMMV...
>>

> [snip]
>
> It's NOT possible to make a single Makefile, one that has conditionals in it, be
> compatible with both bmake and gmake, because their conditionals don't look
> alike.  It's possible to produce a bmake or gmake compatible makefile, but I
> haven't seen any project do that, actually.  Certainly, you can write (for the
> autoconf) a Makefile.in that would be compatible with bmake, but I never saw
> that actually done, have you?

You assume that the makefiles CMake produces need to do some kind of
conditional stuff. I don't think they do anything like that, as that has
already been resolved on a higher level, i.e. with CMake's own little
language used in the CMakeLists.txt files. In fact, the generated
makefiles DO seem to be usable by both GNU make and BSD make.
Here's an example of "the other way around": BSD make on a Gentoo Linux
system building LLVM from CMake-generated makefiles:

23:15|melis at juggle2:~/c/llvm-svn> svn up
U    include/llvm/Analysis/ScalarEvolution.h
U    tools/bugpoint/CrashDebugger.cpp
U    lib/Analysis/ScalarEvolution.cpp
U    lib/CodeGen/SelectionDAG/LegalizeVectorOps.cpp
U    lib/CodeGen/SelectionDAG/LegalizeDAG.cpp
U    lib/Target/ARM/ARMBuildAttrs.h
U    lib/Target/X86/README.txt
U    lib/Transforms/Scalar/IndVarSimplify.cpp
Updated to revision 72399.
23:15|melis at juggle2:~/c/llvm-svn> cd ../llvm-svn-build/
23:16|melis at juggle2:~/c/llvm-svn-build> ccmake .
# configure, generate
23:16|melis at juggle2:~/c/llvm-svn-build> gmake -v
GNU Make 3.81
PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

This program built for i686-pc-linux-gnu
23:17|melis at juggle2:~/c/llvm-svn> bmake -v
# checking that this is indeed BSD make, and not GNU make
usage: bmake [-BeikNnqrstWX] [-D variable] [-d flags] [-f makefile]
            [-I directory] [-J private] [-j max_jobs] [-m directory] [-T
file]
            [-V variable] [variable=value] [target ...]
23:17|melis at juggle2:~/c/llvm-svn-build> bmake
[  6%] Built target LLVMSupport
[  8%] Built target LLVMSystem
[ 13%] Built target tblgen
[ 13%] Building Intrinsics.gen...
[ 14%] Built target intrinsics_gen
[ 20%] Built target LLVMCore
[ 33%] Built target LLVMCodeGen
Scanning dependencies of target LLVMSelectionDAG
[ 33%] Building CXX object
lib/CodeGen/SelectionDAG/CMakeFiles/LLVMSelectionDAG.dir/LegalizeDAG.cpp.o
[ 33%] Building CXX object
lib/CodeGen/SelectionDAG/CMakeFiles/LLVMSelectionDAG.dir/LegalizeVectorOps.cpp.o
Linking CXX static library ../../libLLVMSelectionDAG.a
[ 37%] Built target LLVMSelectionDAG
[ 39%] Built target LLVMAsmPrinter
[ 40%] Built target LLVMBitReader
[ 41%] Built target LLVMBitWriter
Scanning dependencies of target LLVMTransformUtils
[ 41%] Building CXX object
lib/Transforms/Utils/CMakeFiles/LLVMTransformUtils.dir/LCSSA.cpp.o
Linking CXX static library ../../libLLVMTransformUtils.a
[ 47%] Built target LLVMTransformUtils
etc...

So when using CMake you only need to know ITS configuration file syntax
and none of the GNU make/BSD make stuff.
That's the whole point of CMake: giving you a high-level cross-platform
build environment that hides the actual build tools used (make on
Unices, Visual Studio on Windows, etc).

Regards,
Paul