[LLVMdev] Building LLVM with cmake on FreeBSD

Paul Melis llvm at assumetheposition.nl
Sun May 24 02:06:17 PDT 2009

Hi,

Óscar Fuentes wrote:
> Chuck Robey <chuckr at telenix.org> writes:
>

>>> Just checked that the makefiles generated by cmake work with `make' on
>>> FreeBSD 7.2 x86. The build fails while building `opt' because libdl is
>>> missing.
>>>
>> They absolutely do work, even on FreeBSD-current( I run that here),
>> but not using the native make (the one built as part of "make world"
>> which is a direct descendant of "pmake".  You have to use the GNU
>> make,
>>

> Uh? My FreeBSD installment has `make' and no `gmake'. `make' is indeed
> BSD make.
>
> So, to recap, right now LLVM svn builds fine on FreeBSD 7.2 using BSD
> `make' with the makefiles generated by cmake.

I quickly browsed the CMake 2.6.2 source and their does not seem to be a
special case for BSD in the makefile generator code.
It seems that the makefiles generated by cmake use the subset of
features that is shared by BSD make and GNU make
(http://www.cmake.org/pipermail/cmake/2004-March/004881.html), so
building with either BSD make or GNU make should work.

However, I also noticed that KDE4 uses CMake these days and on a page
(http://techbase.kde.org/Getting_Started/Build/KDE4/FreeBSD) that
describes building on FreeBSD it says "Sometimes, building with *make*
can fail on some modules. You should try using *gmake* instead." So
perhaps YMMV...

Regards,
Paul