[LLVMdev] Passing a pointer to a function

Anthony Danalis adanalis at eecs.utk.edu
Fri May 22 11:05:08 PDT 2009

I am not an expert in this, but maybe what you are missing is a
bitcast.  I'm attaching a simple function I use to pass strings to
functions I've inserted in target programs:

     // convert an STL std::string into an LLVM GlobalVariable holding a
     // ConstantArray and then cast it to a PointerType so we can pass
it
     // to a function call as an actual.
     Value *stringToPtr(std::string str, Module *mdl, Instruction
*instr){
         Constant *strConstant;
         GlobalVariable *gv;

         strConstant = ConstantArray::get(std::string(str));
         gv =  new llvm::GlobalVariable(strConstant->getType(),
                                        true,
                                        GlobalValue::InternalLinkage,
                                        strConstant,
                                        "",
                                        mdl,
                                        false);
         PointerType *strPtrTy = PointerType::getUnqual(Type::Int8Ty);
         return CastInst::Create(Instruction::BitCast, gv, strPtrTy,
"", instr);
     }

I hope it helps,
Anthony