[LLVMdev] memory lifetime and invariance

Andrew Lenharth andrewl at lenharth.org
Wed May 20 09:25:11 PDT 2009

On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 3:02 PM, Chris Lattner <clattner at apple.com> wrote:
> FYI, I wrote up some thoughts on this here:
> http://nondot.org/sabre/LLVMNotes/MemoryUseMarkers.txt
>
> The intention is to allow front-ends to express things like "I know
> this memory is a constant in this region" and to allow the optimizer/
> codegen to perform more aggressive stack slot merging.

It seems no more prone to abuse to reserve an address space for const
memory.  Within a const region, all pointers to the const data are in
the const address space.  So rather than starting with a intrinsic,
you start with a ptrcast.  This would also make checking trivial
stores to const regions easy in the verifier.

Andrew