[LLVMdev] llvm-java

Duncan Sands baldrick at free.fr
Mon May 18 08:54:10 PDT 2009

Hi Andre,

> I'm working on a project to remove unnecessary array bound checks in
> Java. For this purpose I will need to use llvm-java.
>
> What is the state of llvm-java? Can someone explain how to build and use it?
>
> I saw some old emails on the list, and some about a SoC 2008 on Java,
> but I didn't find anything regarding its current state and documentation.

I have a much better idea: work on removing unnecessary array bound
checks in Ada.  Who cares about this java thing anyway?!  Seriously
though, while of course it is important to work on java, may I humbly
request that you also look at the llvm-gcc Ada front-end.  Ada, like
Pascal (which it derives from) does bound checking on all array accesses
and does many other runtime checks too.  As such it should be a good
test for any such pass.  It's not particularly hard to build llvm-gcc
with Ada support if you are using x86-32 linux, see
   http://llvm.org/docs/GCCFEBuildInstrs.html
Even better, llvm-gcc comes with the complete Ada ACATS testsuite,
so after building all you have to do is change into the gcc subdirectory
and do: make -k check-acats

Ciao,

Duncan.