[LLVMdev] RFC: AVX Pattern Specification [LONG]

Stefanus Du Toit stefanus.dutoit at rapidmind.com
Fri May 1 13:05:57 PDT 2009

Hi David,

On 30-Apr-09, at 6:59 PM, David Greene wrote:
> This is not scalable.
>
> So what I've done is a little experiment to see if I can unify all
> SSE and AVX
> SIMD instructions under one framework.  I'll leave MMX and 3dNow
> alone since
> they're oddballs and hardly anyone uses them.

I don't want to unnecessarily expand your scope, but while you're
doing this, it might make sense to keep in mind the new Larrabee
instructions as well. They operate on 512-bit registers, and there's a
(slightly indirect) reference available here:

http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/prototype-primitives-guide/

I'm not suggesting adding these now, just that they might be
interesting to keep in mind while you're doing this work.

Stefanus

--
Stefanus Du Toit <stefanus.dutoit at rapidmind.com>
   RapidMind Inc.