[LLVMdev] GSoC 2009: Extending LLVM IR to aid multi-core code generation

Milos Puzovic milos.puzovic at gmail.com
Mon Mar 30 05:18:40 PDT 2009

Hi Nicolas,

2009/3/30 Nicolas Geoffray <nicolas.geoffray at lip6.fr>

> Can you be more verbose on this? Are you planning to implement some JVM
> or .Net extension for supporting your new intrinsics? Or are you just
> looking for a runtime with a GC?

At the moment I am not looking to add any new extensions to JVM or .NET. I
would need a runtime with a GC to demonstrate and test building execution
schedules using the randomized work-stealing algorithm. I thought that I
could factor out some code from VMKit that would help me to get there?
Otherwise I would look at working with LLVM interpreter to support multi-
and many-core execution with new intrinsic. Once I am happy with the
performance I will look into adding extensions to JVM and .NET.

Why do you need to hack on a processor backend for such purpose? Aren't
> your OS primitives sufficient?

Yes they are, but I also want to exploit any specific instructions from the
multi-thread processors for creating and distributing threads. For examples,
XCore ISA has an instruction TSTART to start and a group of instructions
starting with TINIT for initialising different aspects of thread states. It
would then be interesting to compare how would that generated code handle
load balancing compared to work-stealing algorithm and if they can work
together.

Milos.