[LLVMdev] JIT Optimization Levels?

Nyx mcheva at cs.mcgill.ca
Sun Mar 29 19:00:54 PDT 2009

I was simply surprised because some C++ code I implemented/translated into
LLVM IR ran significantly slower in the JIT than the C++ version. The code
in question was mean to implement the "plus" operator in my scripting
language, and had different behaviors depending on the type of the objects
being added.  I expected it to run faster as I was eliminating a call to a
C++ function by generating the LLVM IR for what I wanted to do directly,
essentially inlining the code for the "plus" operator into the code I was
generating/JITing.