[LLVMdev] AVX - Work is Progressing

David Greene dag at cray.com
Wed Mar 25 12:10:32 PDT 2009

Hi all,

We've been doing some work to add AVX support to the x86 backend.  We'd
like to contribute this to the community.  We wanted to let everyone know in
advance in case there are others working on this as well.  If so, let's
collaborate so we don't step on each other.

Currently we have the basic AVX machine description support, some TableGen
enhancements which I've discussed this week and a start at intrinsics and
TableGen patterns.

We will probably not spend much time on machine code generation since we
don't use the JIT but I have tried to write the .td files in the spirit of the
existing x86 files so it shouldn't be too bad for someone else to add that
support.

I will start to send this upstream in patches.  We hope others find this to be
useful.

                                            -Dave