[LLVMdev] Rolling my own LLVM assembly language parser

someguy just.s0m3.guy+llvmdev at gmail.com
Wed Mar 25 11:15:33 PDT 2009

You can achieve the 'standalone tools' effect using LLVM bitcode,
which is a binary IR format.

Then you can have:
source code -> [llvm-gcc frontend] -> bc
bc -> [your tool using llvm bitcode reader writer library, doing
whatever mutations to the IR you want and spitting out bc again] -> bc
bc -> [llvm backend (llc)/llvm-as/...] -> native code.

Doesn't that meet your requirements?