[LLVMdev] Consumer ARM platform suitable for LLVM development?

Misha Brukman brukman at gmail.com
Thu Mar 19 07:31:27 PDT 2009

2009/3/18 Dale Johannesen <dalej at apple.com>

> On Mar 18, 2009, at 11:30 AMPDT, Misha Brukman wrote:
>
> Can someone with llvm-gcc/ARM expertise (Dale?) please review Sandeep's
> patch?  The patch works for me in building an LLVM-based cross-compiler from
> x86_64/Linux to ARM/Linux.
> I have been able to build without the patch to the asm file, but several
> people have reported needing the asm patch on http://llvm.org/PR2545 .
>
> Looks OK to me.

Thanks for the review.  Sandeep, I've committed your patch (with some
modifications) to arm.h -- please sync and see if this version works for
you.

> The asm file is the only thing I'd have reservations about (that isn't
> marked as a local change, btw, and I don't think it was), but the
> parentheses should work fine.

I haven't yet submitted the .asm patch -- I'm also curious how the /* LLVM
LOCAL */ markers work in the Apple merges when it's not an addition but
rather a modification, e.g.:

-       THUMB_DIV_MOD_BODY 1
+       /* LLVM LOCAL */
+       THUMB_DIV_MOD_BODY(1)

Will Apple merger think that this is a new line added in the LLVM and
complain that it's missing a line without the parens from the Apple side,
and end up inserting both?  I admit I'm still a bit unclear as to how the
auto-patcher works in all cases.

Would it make sense to do these fixes on the Apple side of the tree, so that
Apple and LLVM are in agreement on this?  It looks like a trivial change.
Or I can make a patch with /* APPLE LOCAL */ markers so that Apple's and
public LLVM SVN don't differ so much for such a change.

Let me know what you prefer.

Misha