[LLVMdev] n00b question: From module/bitcode to Mach-O dylib file directly?

Luke Evans luke_e at mac.com
Mon Mar 16 01:56:56 PDT 2009

> I for one would really like to see object generation become a fully
> working feature of the llvm toolchain.

Actually, a related thing I've been curious about is the difference
between the output of the llvm-gcc-4.2 front end on the Mac and a
regular plain vanilla bit code file.
The former file can be named a .o and the platform linker now knows
how to do LTO while linking against other BC-based and native files.
These are clearly slightly different to native Mach-O obj files, and
using a hex editor you can see the bit code enclosed within them -
presumably they use the Mach-O envelope but store the BC code in a
different section to where native code would be.
Not sure if/where the exact form of the Mach-O file that carries bit
code is documented.

A cool thing IMO would be a tool that wrapped an ordinary BC file in
whatever envelope the llvm-gcc-4.2 tool puts around the bitcode, in
addition to the method to generate a Mach-O file with the native code.

-- lwe