[LLVMdev] n00b question: From module/bitcode to Mach-O dylib file directly?

Luke Evans luke at eversosoft.com
Sun Mar 15 16:23:09 PDT 2009

Thanks John.

I had passed over ExecutionEngine as it looked like it offered a JIT.
Maybe there's more to it than meets the (hasty) eye though.

I'm interested in getting a native image.  Ultimately, I'd like to do
things like emitting Objective-C IMPs and building Objective-C classes
around them.
However, I'm going one step at a time (there's probably much to learn
and maybe gotchas to discover before I get to this).
To begin with, I figured I'd try to get a Mach-O file written out,
dload'ed and then make a regular C call to a loaded function.

So, I'll take a look at ExecutionEngine, but I'm still curious if I'm
currently able to emit Mach-O dylibs directly from the LLVM tool
chain, or if I have to go a little more round-the-houses (perhaps
emitting .s and then using platform tools to get to the dylib).

-- lwe