[LLVMdev] missed optimizations

John Regehr regehr at cs.utah.edu
Sat Mar 7 08:45:41 PST 2009

> There is an unbounded number of things the optimizer could potentially
> handle, but we only have a bounded amount of engineering effort.  I'd
> rather drive forward based on actual needs of code observed in the wild.

Fair enough.

The one I submitted, btw, is a safety check for a shift operation, called
with constant arguments-- it is almost certainly reasonable to expect that
a good compiler at a nontrivial optimization level will make these checks
go away.

As a compromise, would you consider adding a "run opt to fixpoint" option
to llvm-gcc?  Obviously I can do that using a pipeline but in practice the
pain of abandoning the simple compilation driver is too much.

John