[LLVMdev] Please review the 2.5 release notes

Jay Foad jay.foad at gmail.com
Mon Mar 2 01:21:38 PST 2009

> Please review the 2.5 release notes here: http://llvm.org/docs/ReleaseNotes.html

The description of nocapture is a bit funny:

"... pointer arguments to functions that access through but do not
return the pointer in a data structure that out lives the call"

I think it needs s/return/retain/ and s/out lives/outlives/

> In addition, many APIs have changed in this release. Some of the major LLVM API changes are:

The ones I encountered were:

- The syntax of Intrinsics*.td changed in an incompatible way;
Intrinsic<[llvm_i32_ty, llvm_ptr_ty, llvm_ptr_ty]> used to mean the
return type was i32 and the parameter types were (i8*, i8*), but now
it means something different (probably that the return type is {i32,
i8*, i8*}, but I'm not sure).
- BinaryOperator::createAnd -> CreateAnd (and similarly for lots of
other createX functions)
- TargetData::getABITypeSize -> getTypePaddedSize
- APFloat::convertToAPInt -> bitcastToAPInt

I don't know if any of these count as "major".

Thanks,
Jay.