[LLVMdev] making trampolines more portable

Duncan Sands baldrick at free.fr
Wed Jun 24 00:53:25 PDT 2009

Hi Eric,

> Hmm...  sounds like my intention to use LLVM bitcode as a portable
> intermediate code is doomed, then.  I had hoped that the "V" in LLVM
> gave me more target-independence than that.  I wouldn't necessarily
> have expected this to work for entirely arbitrary ABIs, but I'd hoped
> that it would have at least abstracted away the target calling conventions
> for C functions.

for some ABI's the way a parameter is passed can depend on C type
information that there is no good way to represent in LLVM.  This
is why (for the moment) front-ends are required to take care of
producing LLVM function declarations that conform with the ABI.
There is a plan to have a generic ABI library which makes it easy
for front-ends to do this.

Ciao,

Duncan.