[LLVMdev] LLVM Automatic Pool Allocation

John Criswell criswell at cs.uiuc.edu
Tue Jun 23 10:36:06 PDT 2009

MichaelFrerichs wrote:
> My name is Michael Frerichs and I am a part of a research team led by Dr. Krishna Kavi at the University of North Texas. Our current work focuses on optimizing dynamic memory for multiprocessor systems. We are interested in the LLVM infrastructure and the Automatic Pool Allocation technique. We believe this tool could be useful to our research and wondered if we could utilize your implementations of the Automatic Pool Allocation tool for multiprocessing applications.

Yes.

The Automatic Pool Allocation transform is publicly available (though
not as well publicized as LLVM).  To get the source code, use the
following command:

cd llvm/projects
svn co http://llvm.org/svn/llvm-project/poolalloc/trunk poolalloc

If you're checking out LLVM for the first time, the poolalloc project
should be auto-configured when you run the configure script in the llvm
top level directory.  If you already have LLVM configured and built, you
can configure poolalloc separately by running its configure script.

The poolalloc code currently compiles with top-of-tree (also known as
mainline) LLVM.  We keep the code up-to-date since we use it in the
SAFECode project, although it may have experienced some bitrot over time.

If you have any questions on pool allocation, please email llvmdev.
There are several people on the list (myself included) who use parts of
the poolalloc source code to various degrees.

-- John T.