[LLVMdev] x86 Intel Syntax and MASM 9.x

David Greene dag at cray.com
Tue Jun 16 15:12:54 PDT 2009

On Tuesday 16 June 2009 09:48, Aaron Gray wrote:

> Appently the GAS Intel backend has flaws and does not work correctly anyway
> so the X86IntelAsm backend is designed only to target MASM anyway.

gas Intel syntax is indeed broken in LLVM.  I'd love to make it work but
my work has not (yet) allocated time for that.  Maybe I can hack LLVM on
the weekends.  :)

The above discussion leads me to believe there are fundamental conflicts
between MASM and gas syntax.

Is NASM any better than MASM?

I would hate for MASM to impose draconian restrictions on the Intel asm
printer for all targets.

Do we need a third asm printer?

                             -Dave