[LLVMdev] PIC documentation ?

Anton Korobeynikov anton at korobeynikov.info
Tue Jun 16 13:17:03 PDT 2009

Hello, Aaron

> Can I ask what platform ABI's are documented other than Itanium ?
I'd bet all platform ABI are more or less documented.

> I need to get to understand PIC on x86, x86_64 and PowerPC for the COFF and MachO backends.
ABI is normally induced by platform, not by architecture or object
file format (however they can influence on it).

1. Windows is PIC by design. Google for PE file format and for
'relocs' section. This corresponds to LLVM's DynamicNoPIC
2. ABI docs for Darwin (x86, x86_64, ppc, ppc64) you might find
somewhere @apple.com. There you can have all 3 types of PIC code:
static (no pic at all), DynamicNoPIC and full PIC.
3. COFF is usually not used on PPC at all (maybe on some old AIX'es?).

PS: Since you did not mention ELF, I assume you already found ABI docs
for it (for all platforms).
--
With best regards, Anton Korobeynikov