[LLVMdev] UPCOMING API CHANGE: Threads and LLVM

Owen Anderson resistor at mac.com
Tue Jun 16 11:03:25 PDT 2009

On Jun 15, 2009, at 6:16 PM, Owen Anderson wrote:
> The major CHANGE is:  the JIT will no longer be safe for executing
> threaded applications without first invoking llvm_start_multithreaded
> ().  Please begin to update your client applications now if this
> affects you, as I will be throwing the switch in SVN sooner rather
> than later.

After some further reflection on this point, I don't think it will be
necessary to make llvm_start_multithreaded() strictly required for all
applications that want to host threaded applications in the JIT.  It
is, however, strongly recommended, especially if you're using side
exits, to guard against to possibility of accidental concurrent calls
into the LLVM API.

I still welcome any comments, particular from VM implementers.

--Owen