[LLVMdev] Some understanding of LLVM vs gCC vs Intel C++ Compilers

Jason Todd Slack-Moehrle mailinglists at MailNewsRSS.com
Sun Jun 14 18:09:03 PDT 2009

Hi All,

I have spent a better part of my 32 years on this earth writing
Solaris software and more recently leaving that and returning back to
Mac OS.

I obviously know about GCC and the Intel C++ Compilers.

I am looking to have more freedom and flexibility along with producing
better quality software.

How does LLVm fit in?

I know that it is a C/C++ Compiler, but how do I use it? Is it
Makefile based?

Does it replace GCC?

Can one build full OS X applications with it? (What I mean is dont
need to use XCode or anything if I dont want to)

I would totally appreciate advice!

Thanks,

-Jason