[LLVMdev] Why does the x86-64 JIT emit stubs for external calls?

Evan Cheng evan.cheng at apple.com
Thu Jun 11 12:54:57 PDT 2009

On Jun 10, 2009, at 12:17 PM, Jeffrey Yasskin wrote:

> In X86CodeGen.cpp, the following code appears in the handler used for
> CALL64pcrel32 instructions:
>
>        // Assume undefined functions may be outside the Small
> codespace.
>        bool NeedStub =
>          (Is64BitMode &&
>              (TM.getCodeModel() == CodeModel::Large ||
>               TM.getSubtarget<X86Subtarget>().isTargetDarwin())) ||
>          Opcode == X86::TAILJMPd;
>        emitGlobalAddress(MO.getGlobal(), X86::reloc_pcrel_word,
>                          MO.getOffset(), 0, NeedStub);
>
> This causes every external call to be emitted as a call to a stub
> which then jumps to the real function.
> I understand, thanks to the helpful folks on #llvm, that calls across
> more than 31 bits of address space need to be emitted as a "mov
> $ADDRESS, r10; call *r10" pair instead of the simple "call
> rip+ADDRESS" used for calls within 31 bits. But why isn't the mov+call
> pair emitted inline? And why are Darwin and TAILJMPs special?

This is needed because of lazy compilation, before the callee is
resolved, it is just a JIT stub. It's heap allocated so it may not be
in the lower 4G even if the code size model is small. I know this is
the case on Darwin x86_64, I am not sure about other targets. I forgot
why this is needed for tail calls, sorry.

In theory we can make the code generator inline mov+call, the reality
is it doesn't know whether it's jitting or not. Also, we really want
to keep the code generation the same (as much as possible) whether
it's jitting or compiling. One possible solution for this is to add
code size model specifically for JIT so code generator can generate
more efficient code in that configuration.

Evan