[LLVMdev] Regular Expressions

Chris Lattner clattner at apple.com
Thu Jun 11 10:28:45 PDT 2009

On Jun 9, 2009, at 12:39 PM, David Greene wrote:

> On Tuesday 09 June 2009 14:34, Dan Gohman wrote:
>> Can you describe what problem you're trying to solve here?  Does it
>> really need Regular Expressions?
>
> Yes.  I want TableGen to be able to infer lots of stuff
> programmatically.
> This helps tremendously when specifying things like, oh, AVX.  :)

I don't see how this relates to regex's, and really don't want to suck
in an external regex library.  Can you give an example of how this
would help?

> BTW, is there a process for dropping compiler support?  Eventually
> most
> compilers will have TR1 except for very old versions.  It's not
> feasible
> to support all of those crufty compilers forever.

There is no formal process.  What do you need out of TR1?  Is it
possible to make it conditional?  Many old compilers are already
broken anyway, but all it takes is one "popular" one to make it a no-go.

-Chris