[LLVMdev] Pool Allocation and DSA

John Criswell criswell at cs.uiuc.edu
Thu Jun 11 09:14:08 PDT 2009

Patrick Alexander Simmons wrote:
> Thank you, and I apologize for conflating the two passes.
>
> My main remaining concern is about what happens when there is a node in
> a function's DSGraph that points to a pool (or pools, if there are
> multiple callers) that is not in the DSGraph of that function.  For
> example, on page 3 of the 2005 PLDI paper, the DSGraph given for
> createnode(), Data is pointing to an unlabeled node in the graph.  I
> would like to know specifically what this node is and what would happen
> if getPool() were called on it.  My best guess is that getPool() would
> return NULL.

Ah.  I think I see the issue now.  There may be some instances in which
pool allocation may not need to pass a pointer's pool into a function
because there are no allocations or deallocations from that pool.  In
that case, what does getPool() return?

I have no idea.  We added the getPool() method to support SAFECode , and
SAFECode requires that the pool for a pointer always be available, so
the above situation cannot (or at least, should not) occur.  I didn't
think of the above case when adding getPool() because it's not supposed
to happen for SAFECode, so what it does is anybody's guess.

If your use of pool allocation requires that you can always get the pool
handle for a pointer, you need to make sure that pool allocation is
configured so that it doesn't generate the above scenario.  I think
there is an option to make all pools be global pools.

> Moreover, it seems like it should be possible to call a Function with a
> pointer without passing in the pointer's pool, as long as no allocations
> are done using the pointer.  What will the DSNode for that pointer in
> the function's graph look like?  What edges will be coming out of it?

In the DSGraph for the function, you should have a DSNode for the
pointer that is passed into the function as a parameter.  Whether there
is an explicit pool for it is another matter, but there will be a DSNode
for the pointer.

> Also, after thinking about it for a while, I don't think it's ever
> possible for a node in the global DSGraph to have pointers to a pool
> that is not also global, thus preventing the problem of a global node
> having pointers into some function's DSGraph.  Am I right?

I don't know.  Global variables can point to stack and heap objects, so
DSA must have a way to represent this in the DSGraphs.  However, if you
configure pool allocation to allow for context sensitivity (i.e., it can
allocate pool descriptors on the stack), then I don't know if it will
place stack/heap objects pointed to by global variables in a global pool
or in a stack-allocated pool.

-- John T.