[LLVMdev] Call to address 0 gets removed

Paul Schlie schlie at comcast.net
Wed Jun 10 10:35:11 PDT 2009

> Dale Johannesen wrote:
>> Paul Schlie wrote:

>>> Calling 0 is undefined behavior; the optimizer is within its
>>> rights to remove this.  Why do you want to call 0?
>>
>> Although a C translation unit may arguably not assign a
>> correspondingly defined function as having a pointer value
>> (address) comparing equal to ((void *) 0);
>
> Nothing arguable about it, see C99 6.3.2.3

- yes agreed, however:

>> it's not clear that the standard forbids the invocation of such a
>> function
>
> No such function can exist.  I don't think the standard forbids you
> to call 0, but it makes calling 0 undefined behavior ("behavior, upon
> use of a nonportable or erroneous program construct or of erroneous
> data"), since there can't possibly be a valid function there.

- also yes, however ((void *) 0) need not have a storage representation
  being equivalent to ((int) 0), as for example may be represented as
  being equivalent to ((int) -1) if desired (as may even be desirable
  in some circumstances); in which circumstance striping calls to "0"
  would arguably be wrong to broadly do. Although more practically as:

>> nor does it seem like a good idea to silently strip any such
>> invocations especially if allowed to be specified; as to do so
>> would seemingly only mask potentially legitimate problems, and/or
>> prevent that intended from being performed although potentially
>> relying on an undefined behavior.
>>
>> (As for example, it's not hard to imagine that it may be desirable
>> to allow a machine which may trap such calls to do, and/or to allow
>> the invocation of some otherwise specified behavior although
>> considered undefined by standard itself.)
>
> In general, a C compiler is not the right tool to use for
> functionality outside the C language, so I'm not inclined to be
> sympathetic to this line of reasoning.

- I presume you mean things like supporting inline assembly and a
  multitude of other other useful extensions which correspondingly
  have no have no well defined behavior? (a rhetorical question)

I understand you position, just simply don't agree that supporting
extensions which are useful and which do not violate the standard
are worthy of being broadly rejected, unless their specified undefined
behavior may be usefully capitalized upon to justify some more useful
optimization; however as stripping calls to "0", does not seem very
useful to anyone in practice, such calls may be more usefully preserved
possibly in combination with a useful non-portable warning. Merely IMHO.