[LLVMdev] Pool Allocation and DSA

John Criswell criswell at uiuc.edu
Mon Jun 8 21:54:55 PDT 2009

Patrick Alexander Simmons wrote:
> I don't really have a specific question, but, as I've been looking
> through pool allocation and the DS graphs extensively, I wanted to
> verify that my understanding of the representations used is correct.
> Therefore, I'm summarizing my understanding below (which, if it's
> correct, may hopefully be helpful to others).  I would appreciate if
> someone who understands pool allocation well would comment on whether
> I'm right in my understanding.
>
> After pool allocation runs, each Function is associated with a DS
> graph.  Each node in a Function's DS graph falls into one of the
> following categories:
>
> 1.  The node corresponds to a global pool.
> 2.  The node corresponds to a pool created by the Function.
> 3.  The node corresponds to a formal parameter passed to the function
> (and is the result of conservatively folding all possible actual
> parameters that may be passed to the function).
> 4.  The node corresponds to a pool parameter passed to the Function.
> 5.  The node is not in categories 1-4, in which case it must be pointed
> to by some other pool which either is in categories 1-4 or is pointed to
> by some other node, for which the same condition must hold.  That is to
> say, all nodes in the graph must be reachable by following the edges of
> the nodes in categories 1-4.

I don't believe this is correct, or, at the very least, you are using
confusing terminology.

First, DSA and Pool Allocation are two completely different things.  DSA
is a points-to analysis.  It creates a graph (one per function + 1
global graph for global variables) where each node represents a set of
memory objects and the edges represent pointers within one memory object
that point to another memory object (i.e. if node A points to node B,
that means a field in one of the objects in node A points to an object
in node B).  The DSGraph also contains a ScalarMap which maps LLVM
Values to nodes in the graph (these nodes are called DSNodes).  DSA is
somewhat special because it attempts to disambiguate different linked
data structures within programs (hence the name Data Structure Analysis,
or DSA).

Automatic Pool Allocation (APA) is a transform that is built on top of
DSA.  It uses the points-to graphs computed by DSA to group allocations
into various pools.  The original idea was to place nodes of the same
pointer-based data structure into the same pool to get better cache
locality.  The pools that Automatic Pool Allocation creates can either
be global variables or local alloca'ed memory, depending upon how long
the pool must be alive, what heuristics Automatic Pool Allocation is
using, and whether the DSA results are context sensitive or
insensitive.  When a pool is created based on context sensitive results,
it is stack allocated and passed around as an argument to functions.

However, Automatic Pool Allocation has another use beyond improving
performance.  It turns out that if you allocate memory based on the
points-to analysis results, you can speed up run-time checks for memory
safety.  This leads to SAFECode: a transform built on top of Automatic
Pool Allocation that adds additional information to each pool to
implement fast run-time checks.

Transforms like SAFECode need to know the mapping between the pointers
in a program and the pool in which those pointers were assigned (more
accurately, the pool in which the memory objects pointed to by those
pointers were allocated).  The easiest way to do this was to have
SAFECode query Automatic Pool Allocation.  This is, therefore, the
purpose of getPool(): it allows other LLVM passes to ask Automatic Pool
Allocation what pool a particular LLVM Value lives in.  The pool is
returned as an LLVM Value *.  Depending on whether the pool is global,
stack allocated, or passed into the function determines whether it is an
LLVM GlobalVariable *, LLVM AllocaInst *, or LLVM Argument *.

-- John T.