[LLVMdev] How to stop symbol searching without aborting

Cédric Venet cedric.venet at laposte.net
Fri Jun 5 13:05:38 PDT 2009

> An LLVM program can call any address, valid or not. If the programmer
> figures out the address of one of those "forbidden" functions, he can
> call it. You may write some pass for detecting suspicious constructs and
> reject them, but solving the problem the right way looks very hard or
> impossible to me, mostly because you want to use LLVM code generated by
> a C/C++ compiler.

you may want to take a look at
 http://nativeclient.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/nacl/googleclient/native_client/documentation/nacl_paper.pdf
The paper look promising. I didn't try there implementation
http://code.google.com/p/nativeclient/ . The license is new BSD.
Will it is currently developped for the web, it could be useful for any
applications which does not trust its plugins.

regards,

Cédric