[LLVMdev] Structured Exception Handling (SEH) on Windows

Joe Ranieri joe at alacatialabs.com
Wed Jun 3 20:57:08 PDT 2009

On Jun 3, 2009, at 18:50, Eli Friedman wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 3, 2009 at 2:20 PM, Joe Ranieri<joe at alacatialabs.com>
> wrote:
>> Has any progress been made on structured exception handling on
>> Windows? I saw a post by Duncan Sands back in September 2008, but
>> haven't seen anything since. I'm trying to generate code to run on
>> Windows, but would really prefer not to ship libgcc...
>
> I fail to see the connection between SEH support and libgcc; for C++
> exceptions to work, you will need libgcc anyway.

Well, I had thought that SEH was a superset of C++ exception handling,
similar to how the unwind library is to the C++ exception handling
with libgcc. Looking further into this, it seems not to be the case.
What I'd like to end up with is exceptions compatible with DLLs
generated with Visual Studio C++. I'm not much of a Windows person, so
don't really know the best way to approach it.

However, this is a long term goal, and for now I just need an
exception system to work inside of the code I generate with LLVM.
Since I don't really have much time to spend on this, I think for now
I'll implement something quick and dirty using setjmp/longjmp.

Anyone have better ideas?

-- Joe Ranieri