[LLVMdev] patch for llc/ARM: added mechanism to move switch tables from .text -> .data; also cleanup and documentation

robert muth robert at muth.org
Thu Jul 23 12:10:11 PDT 2009

On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 6:48 PM, Bob Wilson <bob.wilson at apple.com> wrote:

> On Jul 2, 2009, at 10:48 AM, robert muth wrote:
>
> I spend over a day trying to follow your suggestion. In the end I was not
> successful. Here is what Iearned:
>
> After setting
>
> ARMJITInfo::hasCustomJumpTables -> true
> setOperationAction for ISD::BR_JT -> Expand
>
> I needed to add a "brind" definition to ARMInstrInfo.td
> I picked "bx" but to do a proper job one would have to take older
> architectures
> into account..
> The next thing was to to set
>  setOperationAction for ISD::JumpTable -> Custom
> and implement the corresponding code.
> This code is very similar to my "outline" code as it has to materialize
> the table start address.
>
>  I never quite got this  to work, though.
>

> Sorry for the slow response.  Since it wasn't clear what problems you ran
> into, and since I wasn't very familiar with LLVM's handling of jump tables,
> I wanted to have a look at it myself to see what the issues were.
>
> I was able to make it work after fixing one problem: the branch folder
> removes "dead" jump tables and it doesn't scan the constant pool for jump
> table references.  I had to add some code to the branch folder and the
> MachineConstantPoolValue class to fix that.  I haven't yet done much testing
> of this but it looks like it's basically working.
>
> Since I had to write the code to try this out, I'm sending my revised patch
> back to you.  There are still a few issues to sort out before committing
> this:
>
> * I followed your lead and added a "brind" pattern using "bx".  I think
> this works on older architectures, too.  What issue were you thinking of
> with regard to supporting older architectures?  I didn't even look at Thumb
> or Thumb2, but we'll need something for them.
>
> * I saw some earlier discussion about the command-line option name.  You
> had "outline-jumptables" and Evan had suggested "OutOfLine".  I don't
> particularly like either one (sorry, Evan).  How about
> "no-inline-jumptables"?  I prefer that because it captures the sense that
> this option is disabling an ARM-specific feature (the inline jumptables) and
> changing back to the default.
>
> * I didn't look at the JIT code emitter at all.  That will need to be
> fixed.
>
> * It would be great to change the testcase to use the new FileCheck format.
>
> I've attached my revised patch to show you how I made this work.  I've also
> attached a copy of your last patch with embedded comments (search for
> "bob>").  Let me know what you think and if you can take a look at
> addressing some of the open issues above.
>
> Presumably what the generic code generator
> would to is to use this table start multiple the "switch index" by 4 load
> the target address and jump there. Not a very  big saving in my mind.
> And it is offset by having to touch ARMInstrInfo.td.
> Also note, that the generic code generator must make some assumptions
> [...]

Bob:

Thanks for cleaning this up. I like the new patch much better than the old
one.
Teaching the (abstract) ConstantValue class about jumptable indices is a
little
bit ugly but I do not see any better solution without massive refactoring.
I have added TODOs  here and elsewhere and plan to address them in future
patches. I also added a test and pcleaned up a few things.

The new patch is attached.
I also uploaded it to

 http://codereview.appspot.com/96065/show

which is more convenient for browsing.
(you will have to register with an arbitrary pair
of email address and password --if you have a gmail
account you can use that)
Cheers,

Robert