[LLVMdev] x86 unwind support[MESSAGE NOT SCANNED]

Andrew Haley aph at redhat.com
Mon Jul 20 06:32:43 PDT 2009

Mark Shannon wrote:
> Andrew Haley wrote:
>> Mark Shannon wrote:

>>> POSIX pthread_cleanup_pop() can only be called directly from C++/C.
>>> C doesn't haven't exceptions.
>> But it does have pthread_exit().
>>
>>> So yet again, this is a C++ issue.
>> No, it isn't:
>>
>>        The effect of calling longjmp() or siglongjmp() is undefined  if  there
>>        have  been any calls to pthread_cleanup_push() or pthread_cleanup_pop()
>>        made without the matching call since the jump buffer  was  filled.
>>

> We are not talking about longjmp() or siglongjmp() we are talking about
> invoke/unwind!

Let's go back a bit.  Your claim is that there is no need to unwind
frame-by-frame, an unwind simply needs to make a single jump to an
invoke instruction and restore the context (which in x86 is just 6
registers).  (This is, more or less, what longjmp() does.)  Duncan Sands
explained to you why that wouldn't work, saying "if you throw an
exception using your proposed unwind implementation, then it wouldn't
be caught by dwarf catch/cleanup regions".

He's right.  You can't just jump to the invoke instruction, you must
also pop any cleanups.  This is nothing to do with C++, and it has
nothing to do with whether a language has stack-allocated objects.

Andrew.