[LLVMdev] speed and code size issues

Daniel Dunbar daniel at zuster.org
Fri Jul 17 17:41:11 PDT 2009

On Fri, Jul 17, 2009 at 5:12 PM, Jonathan Gray<jsg at goblin.cx> wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 17, 2009 at 04:41:55PM -0700, Eli Friedman wrote:
>> On Fri, Jul 17, 2009 at 4:14 PM, Jonathan Gray<jsg at goblin.cx> wrote:
>> > This seems to go against notes such as
>> > http://clang.llvm.org/features.html#performance
>> > which claim clang is signifcantly faster than gcc.
>>
>> I think the URL you want is actually
>> http://clang.llvm.org/performance.html.  The difference isn't as
>> dramatic when you consider code generation, at least for the moment.
>
> Are these scripts to break down the time spent
> in different stages available somewhere?

Not currently, I've never bothered to make them public because they
aren't very generic. They more or less amount to running the compiler
with extra options like -fsyntax-only, or -E, and timing those. Its
worth trying to reproduce the performance issue on a single file
before going down this road. However, if you really want them I can
ship you what I have, I just don't promise it will be very useful.

 - Daniel