[LLVMdev] llvm.memcpy intrinsics.

Eli Friedman eli.friedman at gmail.com
Thu Jul 16 00:25:12 PDT 2009

On Wed, Jul 15, 2009 at 11:43 PM, sanjiv
gupta<sanjiv.gupta at microchip.com> wrote:
> clang generates llvm.memcpy.* intrinsics for our port.
> Now we are linking a .bc version of the standard library. Do we have to
> include a version of these intrinsics in the .bc librrary?

You can't implement an intrinsic, at least not directly.

> If yes, do we
> have some already written version?

The difficultly of writing an implementation of memcpy corresponds
closely to how much you care about its performance... the simplest
implementation is something like "while (len--) *dest++ = *src++;".

> Or do we have to leave them for llc to convert them in to memcpy and
> then provide an binary version of lib with these functions ?

That's probably the easiest way to deal with it; I think llc can
sometimes generate memcpy/memmove/memset even when the corresponding
intrinsics are never called.  Alternatively, if you're using a custom
target, you can custom-lower it however you want by overriding
EmitTargetCodeForMemcpy; see
X86TargetLowering::EmitTargetCodeForMemcpy for an example.

-Eli